Saturday, October 24, 2009

Unalienable vs Inalienable Rights

To start, I must confess that I just discovered that I made a mistake about fifteen years ago when I chose the name for my personal website: http://www.inalienable-rights.org
My zeal, hopefully, was commendable, but my lack of knowledge of the fine point of distinction between the two words has, sadly, left me with quite a legacy regarding the subject of our Rights, which I firmly believe, come from God, and are UN-alienable, that is, cannot be taken away from us or given up by us.

That being said, the name I chose for the website is almost a contradiction of my purpose in choosing it, for the word INalienable means that the rights can be taken away or added by government. I certainly did not mean that.

Ah well. Now I have to deal with it. I suppose that I will have to put a disclaimer on the header of the website so others will know of my ignorant good intentions.

There is no substitute for getting things right from the very start.

No comments:

Post a Comment